Thursday, October 23, 2014

Medieval Diamond Piecework

Some of you may remember a previous post I made about the earliest known piece of decorative patchwork found in Europe, the link is here, well I finally got around to drafting out a test pattern.

I started by drafting the pattern into Electric Quilt (I still have version 4, yeah I know I'm due an upgrade, but it still does most of what I want it to do).  There was a similar block already in the library so I only had to do a little bit of tweaking.

**I did not decide to put the nine patches into my test squares, so yes, that is different from the original.

After I drafted the block, I printed out a 4" pattern and decided that I wasn't quite that nuts,so I reprinted a 6" pattern of which I was satisfied.



 After some trial and error, I finally figured out that this pattern does not have symmetrical pieces.  I'm not sure if you can tell by the photo,but sides A and B on the rhombus are of slightly different measurements, as are the two ends of the diamonds, that is why there are lines drawn on all of the shapes.  For any future uses of this pattern, I will be drawing these on each and every template.






 The next photo shows one diamond that I completed.  Notice that I don't try to "hide" the seam allowance behind the points of the diamonds, I simply flip them out of my way as I stitch.



I whip stitch the diamonds together in pairs, then I create two halves, and then sew those together to make a complete unit.


 Next is to add in those funky shaped rhombuses (I looked it up you can use either rhombuses or rhombi - who knew?)  and the isosceles triangles.  I hadn't figured out with this poor little guy that the diamonds and the rhombuses weren't symmetrical yet, so he is a little wonky.




When you go to put the octagons together there is a square that sits in between each unit.  For some reason I can't find my test sample anywhere,so there is a good chance that I left it behind at the SCA event I was showing it at last month or at the other house.

While doing this, I did determine that, even though it is fairly involved keeping track of which piece needs to go in which place it was a fun English Paper Piecing project.  I do plan on making a bed sized version just to have for my own home use, probably scrappy using up the many tubs of scraps hanging around the house, but for now, I've got to finish my "Elena's Flower Garden".  I'm on the last border, so perhaps it won't take long.







No comments:

Post a Comment